Summary of Content:
Fernando is a Professional Civil Engineer in Texas and works on commercial land development projects throughout the state as a consultant. As a 2013 graduate from Texas A&M University, Fernando has had an opportunity to work on schools, various commercial sites, apartment complexes, and residential master-planned communities. Fernando is also a career coach and host of the Dealing with Life Stuff Podcast. Through his community impact involvement, he currently serves as the SHPE DFW Chapter President, sits on TREC Young Gun Committee, ASCE National Committee of Pre-College outreach, and serves on the Advisory board at a local high school. Fernando was part of the 2017 Coors Light Lideres, 2018 ASCE’s New Faces of Civil Engineering, and featured in the 2018 Class of Dallas Weekly’s Millennials to Watch.
Some questions discussed during the interview:
- What has been the balance of being a Civil Engineer and being a career coach? Difference and similarities between the technical side and the soft skills side?
- How has your experience volunteered with ASCE and SHPE?
- Where you a natural leader growing up?
- Are the technical skills more important than soft skills?
- Tell us about your signature talk about leadership?
- What is one thing you would change from your past?
- Has dyslexia presented challenges or benefits in your career?
- What is your advice for up-and-coming civil engineers?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Jacko Willink: https://www.instagram.com/jockowillink/?hl=en
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz: https://amzn.to/2QKGRmk
Start with Why by Simon Sinek :https://amzn.to/31KMQOw
Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink: https://amzn.to/3bfQxPy
Connect with Fernando:
Music by Jack Winder:
Outro: Southern Skies
Follow him on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0msfukZWdVoUHIvpFvanTU?si=U5jKEdjfSTOetL12ispLcg
Personal Website: http://bit.ly/LuisDuqueWebsite
Westgate Travel Partners: http://bit.ly/WGTPDiscounts
Engineering our Future Podcast:
Facebook Community: http://bit.ly/EOFFBGroup
Support the Podcast: http://bit.ly/EOFPodcastSupport
Subscribe to the Podcast: www.luisfelipeduque.com/podcast
In this podcast, your host Luis Duque, will talk about his own experiences and those around him to help young professionals, students, and international students succeed in their career. Luis is a practicing Bridge Engineer in Colorado. His career is just beginning, but he has been able to help communities in need as well as being involved with professional organizations to advance the Structural Engineering profession.
Business Inquiries: Podcast@luisfelipeduque.com