Find the insurance you need for you and your family at the best rates for free.
Learn anything with a free 14-day trial or 30% off an annual subscription
Get 30% off your first three months with a PRO account. This episode is sponsored by Zencastr, my #1 podcast tool. They provide a crystal clear sound and gorgeous HD video. I love that it records separate audio and video tracks for the guests and me. Plus, there is a secured cloud backup, so you never lose your interviews. It is super easy to use, and there is nothing to download.
In the past, the only two career paths an engineer could take was either becoming a good, highly technical engineer or moving up the corporate ladder to executive roles. Today, however, people are finding themselves happy in completely different roles from those they were trained in.
Does it mean you've chosen the wrong road? Of course not! From technical engineer to principal to major owner to entrepreneur, Peter Atherton is the living proof your career doesn't need to follow a “common” path for you to be making progress.
As you grow and expose yourself to new things, your “seasons” change. And there's no problem in embracing every new season and redirecting your professional goals and interests. Whether that's diving even deeper into your technical area, giving it a try on management functions, or even exposing yourself more often to the business side of your industry.
Peter C. Atherton, P.E. is an accomplished AEC industry insider and practitioner turned executive coach and consultant. Pete has over 29 years of industry experience, 24 as a successful professional civil engineer, project manager, principal, practice group leader, major owner, and member of the board of directors with high-achieving engineering firms.
Peter is now the President and Founder of ActionsProve, LLC, author of Reversing Burnout: How to Immediately Engage Top Talent and Grow!, and the creator of the I.M.P.A.C.T. process. He is also the host of the “AEC Leadership Today” Podcast and the “AEC Leadership Mastermind”.
Peter works with AEC leaders and firms nationwide to grow and advance their success through modern and new era focused strategic planning, executive coaching, leadership and management team development, performance-based employee engagement, and corporate impact design.
You can connect with him at email@example.com and can also connect and follow him on LinkedIn.
What You'll Learn:
- Peter's “uncommon” steps to a fulfilling career
- The power of seasons and why you should embrace yours at any given moment
- Why you should forget the “Technical vs Managerial Role” debate
- The importance of learning from bad role models (yeah…you read it right)
- The key to professional success for young engineers
- How to realistically measure your professional growth
- How to find the career path you want to head down
- The only trait you need to develop new skills to apply at work
- How companies benefit from helping their people develop new skills
- How to independently develop skills outside of work (and why you should)
- The entrepreneurial and managerial mindsets
- Peter's advice for engineers building their careers
- Why you should have a “To-Be List” just as you have a “To-do List”
Connect With Peter:
Music by Jack Winders
Intro: Midwest Folks
Outro: Southern Skies
Follow him on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0msfukZWdVoUHIvpFvanTU?si=U5jKEdjfSTOetL12ispLcg
Check my favorites
My favorite software
Connect with me
Sign up to my weekly email newsletter // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Newsletter
My website & blog // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com
Instagram // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Instagram
Twitter // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Twitter
LinkedIn // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/LinkedIn
Facebook // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Facebook
YouTube // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/YouTube