Find the insurance you need for you and your family at the best rates for free.
Learn anything with a free 14-day trial or 30% off an annual subscription
While school is a wonderful experience, your professional career after graduation is completely different. And it all starts with a job application, whether you are seeking an internship or full-time position. Today, you’ll learn everything you need to stand out during the recruiting process from the expert picking and choosing the winning candidates herself.
Leah Brink is a talent acquisition expert currently working for Daktronics. On today’s episode, she elaborates on what she has learned over her 10+ years of experience in this role. She gives actionable and highly recommended tips on how to prepare and apply for a job, even if the process happens remotely.
Are you a college student? Leah will teach you how to land your dream job with your dream company after you graduate, or even your dream internship while you go through college. Do you already have work experience but just need to find a new job? No problem. Leah will teach you how to craft a resume that explicitly highlights the skills you possess that match those the company is looking for according to its job position requirements.
Leah Brink leads Talent Acquisition efforts for South Dakota-based video display manufacturer, Daktronics. In this role, she manages the company’s internship program which hires dozens of engineering majors each year.
Brink is a skilled public speaker with a passion for teaching and mentoring others. She’s held numerous leadership positions on various city committees and boards, culminating in her election to the Brookings City Council where she’s been serving since 2019.
She earned her Master’s in Mass Communication from SDSU in 2018, and holds Bachelor’s degrees in History and German from the same institution.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Leah Brink’s Work at Daktronics
- Daktronics Founding Story
- Two Types of Internship Programs Currently Available at Daktronics
- How Getting Work Experience Early on Can Help Students After They Graduate
- Why Employers Use Your Grades in School to Make a Hiring Decision
- The Role Extracurricular Activities Play in Your Career
- How an Internship Can Help You Figure Out if You’ve Chosen the Right Field for You
- Why an Internship is a Competitive Advantage (From the Employer’s Perspective)
- Working Jobs Not Related to Your Field Can Still Get You Valuable Skills―And Contacts
- How the Recruiting Processes Have Changed With the Pandemic
- How You Can Better Prepare for a Remote Job Interview
- Remote Employee Training: How Can You Prepare for It?
- The Importance of Proactivity as an Intern and Employee
- From Cover Letter to Crafting the Perfect Resume: Job Application Tips to Stand Out
- What Recruiters Immediately Look for Once They Get Your Resume
Connect With Leah Brink:
Music by Jack Winders
Intro: Midwest Folks
Outro: Southern Skies
Follow him on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0msfukZWdVoUHIvpFvanTU?si=U5jKEdjfSTOetL12ispLcg
Check my favorites
My favorite software
Connect with me
Sign up to my weekly email newsletter // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Newsletter
My website & blog // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com
Instagram // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Instagram
Twitter // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Twitter
LinkedIn // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/LinkedIn
Facebook // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/Facebook
YouTube // https://www.luisfelipeduque.com/YouTube